September 5th – October 14th, 2012
Praying for and with our college campuses
Each fall, over 17 million American students head to college and university campuses. Millions more will head to college when you include universities around the world. These students are making decisions, learning lessons, and being shaped into the next generation of teachers, accountants, mothers, fathers, doctors, CEO’s, journalists, and ministers, among others. Our prayer is that the Spirt of the Living God revealed in Jesus Christ would awaken, encounter, heal, and shape them to be His disciples on campus and in the world.
This fall, we invite you to join us as we pray for the next generation of Christian leaders as they head to college and university campuses. Starting September 5th, we are calling on the Church to pray for our college campuses for 40 days. We have a two-fold purpose: to call the Church to pray for college students and to help college students learn to pray. The 40 days is not a conclusive time period when we simply say our prayers and wish our students the best, but it is a specific period of time in which we can expressly pray for a group of people who so desperately need our prayers. The “40” also comes from Isaiah 40 to “prepare the way of the Lord”. This is a chapter of Scripture where we see God calling his people to hope from despair, to understanding from futility, and to strength from weariness. This is our prayer for the generation of college students who populate campuses around the world…that they would come to trust in the One, true God and be strengthened to run the race that is before them.
The prayers have been written by 40 national leaders from various campus ministry organizations, camps, or schools that work directly with college students. Collectively, they express a heart for God to inspire, challenge, and transform the lives of college campuses and individual students. As you pray the prayers offered by these fellow Christians, may you see how God is calling you to minister to those future Christian leaders who may not yet profess the name of Christ.
How to Participate
We have several ways in which people can join in our prayer efforts:
- Daily Emails—Receive an email morning, noon, and evening with the prayer for the day.
- Downloadable Prayer Guide—A PDF will be made available at the end of Pray 40 2012. Check here on October 15th for an updated link.
- Twitter prayers—Follow us @CollegeUnion and we’ll send you a link to the prayers online.
- use Pray 40 to shape your daily devotional times around
- take a prayer a week to share with your small group and put the action into motion
- use the prayers in your leadership team meetings
- let God inspire you to create a work of art, song, or video from the prayer (& then share it on this site)
Campus Ministers, staff, and those who minister to college students
- By joining the prayer effort by praying themselves and inviting their students, board members, and partnering churches to do the same
- By signing up for a 24 hour period of continuous prayer within their ministry
- By teaching about prayer in their ministries this fall or utilizing some recorded teachings on prayer
Local Pastors, Church Leaders, and Parents/Grandparents
- Pray with us using the daily prayers
- Invite your leadership team/Sunday School class/small group to join you
- Pray specifically for the campus ministers in your area, selecting one or two to whom you can actively lend support
- Make a donation to a campus ministry organization or staff member
Pray 40 is happening because of the support and effort of others who are passionate about reaching this generation of college students. We are grateful for the collaboration and partnership between the 40 national leadership from various Christian ministries who are lending their voice to this project. We are once again indebted to the Foundation for Evangelism and, in particular, Barbara Bowser the support of the Pray 40 website.
Pray 40 Coordinators
You can review the prayer archives for past year’s prayers.